Did you know...
- The word placenta means mother's bread.
- In the 16th century a piece of placenta was added to the new mother's first meal in southern Germany.
- Traditionally a piece of frozen placenta was chased with a glass of white wine.
- Consumption of the placenta is known to reduce recovery time, bleeding, and replace valuable hormones.
- Your baby has a close relationship with his placenta and cuddles it like a pillow especially when he is frightened.
- Currently, in the United States, the placenta is regarded as medical waste though in several European countries the placenta is baked into a powder, encapsulated, and used as a dietary supplement.
- Cooked placenta tastes like beef liver. When baked it has a bread-like texture.
- There are a variety of delicious ways to consume your raw, cooked, or encapsulated placenta!